A weekly analysis of new hip-hop, influential blues, and noteworthy underground artists.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Jimi Hendrix: Blues (Track 3 of 11)

Hendrix's version of Muddy Waters' Mannish Boy is fast paced and funky.  The rhythm guitar uses muted strokes well to achieve that funk sound.  There isn't much in the way of lead guitar and there aren't any real solos; this is a big change from most of the tracks on Blues where Hendrix basically solos all the way through.  The lyrics are great, though, thanks to Muddy, and Jimi does this kind of falsetto at the beginning, which really shows his range.  I've found myself listening to this one more as the sun has come out this spring and I've been able to roll the windows down in the car while I drive.
Stand in line, I'll make love to you... it's always time.  Jimi's lyrics diverge a little from Muddy's but there good and mannish still.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive