A weekly analysis of new hip-hop, influential blues, and noteworthy underground artists.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Featured Artist: Dosage



Dosage first came to my attention a month or two ago when I first bought my tickets to go see Lupe Fiasco perform in Boston. He was the opening act for the opening act (B.o.B.), so, honestly, my expectations weren't that high.
But when I saw him live, I was in for a dope surprise. First off, this kid is a showman. Starting things up, the crowd was pretty mellow but after one track Dosage collapsed onto the ground and the music cuts. The other guys on stage lifted him up, completely supporting him as if he were passed out. All of a sudden 'All the Way Turnt Up' came on blasting as Dosage jumped back up, bounced across the stage and busted out a quick verse. From there on out, things only got better. The whole time he was on stage, Dosage was getting the crowd amped up, something that is definitely hard to do when no one in the audience knows your lyrics.
Back to his music, though. Dosage has got some incredibly clever lyrics, and a quick spitting style that nicely emphasizes his best lines. His flow consistently falls into an ill rhythm, giving you some solid music to ride to.
At the end of his set, Dosage tossed out a couple of CD's, which my buddy was lucky enough to pick up. I was able to burn a copy off him and so far his tape has gotten more than a dozen spins, enough for some clear favorite tracks to jump out at me. Throughout, the beats are solid and the rhymes are top notch. 'Read the Contract', Git Up to Git Down' and 'Dream Killers' are all absolute bangers.
I've been hittin up his myspace page but, unfortunately, not too much info is available on this rising star. About all I know is that he's from Philly and unsigned (though probably not for long). He's in the group 3rd Degree, though I'm not entirely sure who the other two members are.
For real though, do not sleep on this kid. I'm throwing my three favorite tracks of his down low and will upload the whole album upon request. I've also included his myspace link so you can check him out. Dosage, if you're reading this, keep on doing what you're doing and best of luck!

Dosage's Myspace

Download: Read the Contract
Download: Git Up to Git Down
Download: Dream Killers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive