A weekly analysis of new hip-hop, influential blues, and noteworthy underground artists.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Harvard Square Musician David Johnston


David Johnston plays a steel guitar on the upper-level sidewalk outside of Hidden Sweets, next to the red line stop. He is a fantastic musician and a reliable presence. On most nice days, he can be found in his usual spot, sitting on the street, playing the blues. On weekends, he gathers crowds, right there on the sidewalk, as the original bluesmen did. Johnston is a fine street musician, and honestly, I think he should be much more than that. I would hire this guy for gigs all the time. Johnston is fantastic with the slide and has a classic blues voice. I might classify his style as swamp blues, but I'm not sure. I am sure, however, that he is great. I could rave about him all day and night, but really, you need to get out to 25 Brattle St. in Harvard Square and see for yourself. If you can't make it out there to see him, buy a CD online. All I have electronically for you right now is this YouTube video. Johnston is the white guy on the right of the screen. The song is Muddy Waters' Honey Bee. The black guy's voice is excellent, but unfortunately, I have no idea who he is. When I get more info I'll update this post.

Check out Johnston's MySpace page.

0 comments:

Post a Comment