A weekly analysis of new hip-hop, influential blues, and noteworthy underground artists.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bluestone on CHAMPAGNE AND REEFER

The site is called Champagne n' Reefer so I figured I should fill you in. Champagne and Reefer was recorded by Muddy Waters and came out on his 1981 album King Bee.

Yeah bring me champagne when I'm thirsty,
Bring me a reefer when I want to get high. Well you know when I'm lonely, Bring my woman set her right down here by my side. There shouldn't be no law Against people that wanna smoke a little dope. It's good fo' your head, and it relax yo' body, don't you know?

Muddy sang this back in 1981. A Delta bluesman, growing old, singing about the same things we're hearing in hip-hop and rap today. Muddy preferred Piper Heidsieck champagne. Today, the label on the drink may have changed, but not much else has. It's been a while since the blues were born, but the way the hip-hop industry has evolved, it looks like they'll never be forgotten. My Home is in the Delta might as well be Jenny from the Block, and Champagne and Reefer isn't far off Sean Paul's We Be Burnin'.


0 comments:

Post a Comment